Monday, March 23, 2009

Get Along Little Doggies

There are some definitely interesting events that happen when you live on a farm. One of those happened recently, and has been the subject for several posts on other blogs, but I digress.

After a long day in the big city, I came home and put the kids to bed and settled down to write up a nice post about my day and its musical impressions.

You saw that post yesterday.

Well this post is about the phone call.

The call was from the county dispatcher asking if we had any cows.

Of course, I said yes we have some here.

The nice dispatcher told me that they were walking along the highway on the edge of the property.

I being a greenhorn when it comes to cattle did what any responsible greenhorn does and goes and tells his wife.

Now I am not exactly a greenhorn when it comes to cattle. I quickly progressed through some of the early levels of being a cowboy. Below are my current skills and qualifications at being a cowboy.

1. Stand Right There and Hold This stick. - passed with flying colors (I can even pick out my own stick now. 2x4s make great sticks)
2. Hold this gate right here open.
3. Close that same gate after the cow goes through.
4. Open gates ahead of the cows. (Apparently not every gate is the proper gate to open)
5. Open the right gates ahead of the cows.
6. Close the right gates to keep the other cows from getting out.
7. Actively engage the cows while holding approved stick. (also know as not letting the cows run over you or get past you.)

The next level I will be working on is 8. Drive cows in any direction.

Well during the great escape I kept hearing the Blues Brothers singing Rawhide.

Song: Rawhide
Artist: Blues Brothers

No comments: